Physical Education Excuse Guidelines
Students with special health problems, such as asthma, will participate in PE as much as their physical condition allows. Students will need to obtain a PE excuse from the nurse when there is a reason other than a chronic health problem for missing PE.
- All students needing an excuse from PE must come through the nurse's office--even if the excuse is just for one day.
- Homeroom teachers should check with their class at the beginning of the day and send students needing a PE excuse to the nurse's office.
- Excuses will be completed by the nurse. A copy will be given to the PE/Music teachers and the homeroom teacher.
- The nurse will keep a copy of the PE excuse on file.
- Categories of participation for PE excuse will be:
Minimal Participation: Warm-up and stretching only. No aerobic activities.
Moderate Participation: Warm-up and some aerobic activities. Student may rest at any time.
Resting activity: Activity for a specific injured joint or tissue. Permitted activity will avoid use or potential
re-injury of affected part.